Fitness Planning can be complex to those who are unsure where to start.
There's gym memberships, fitness gadgets from infomercials, diet pills, trainers, workout clothing, shoes etc. Prepping to become fit can be a daunting task. Never fear. Here's an easy plan that can guide you on your way to proper fitness and better, improved you.
Step 1: Commit to Getting Fit
- Making the commitment is the first step. Be sure that you are doing this for yourself and not for someone else. The only sure way to achieve true fitness success is to be 100% dedicated to your own goals and needs.
Step 2: Assess Your Needs
- Decide what you need to do to be fit. Determine what goals you want to achieve and even consult a physician or nutritionist to ensure your goals are healthy and realistic.
Step 3: Budget Your Expenses
- Once you know what it is you need to achieve your goals, plan out a budget. Decide what amount of money you can allocate for a gym membership, trainer etc. Don't have that much extra cash? Look at your monthly expenses already. Do you go out to eat often? Buying groceries and cooking at home will save you some extra spending money. Stop by the local coffee shop every morning? Switch to a healthier option (Water, Natural Juice) and save about $12/week or $48/month!
Step 4: Acquire Appropriate Necessities
- Determine what you will need to achieve your goals such as a gym membership, running shoes, fitness equipment, a dietitian, healthy cooking lessons, a trainer etc.
Step 5: Begin Your Fitness Conquest
- Begin your journey to a healthier you! Once you've acquired what you need to make your fitness conquest a reality, now you just have to take action and do the work.
Step 6: Enlist Support
- It might be difficult at first, but don't give up! Enlist support from those who want to see you succeed and will genuinely look out for your best interest. Developing a network of supportive individuals will assist you in achieving your goals. Enlist support from a trainer or peer who is also on a fitness conquest. Stay away from the competitive friends or individuals who will be waving junk food in your face or tempting you to go out for a drink instead of the gym.
Step 7: Prepare for Setbacks
- Understand you're trying something new and very different. This is not like trying on a pair of bright yellow jeans and see how funny you may feel. You are altering your entire being through exercise and fitness. There will be obstacles, but with proper guidance and support you can overcome anything! Don't spiral out because of a slip-up, just own up to it, acknowledge it as a learning point and move on.
Step 8: Update Your Goals
- Once you achieve a goal, set another one. Continue setting goals to improve yourself. This will keep you motivated and continue your pursuit for complete fitness. Make sure every time you achieve a goal, you reward yourself (a pedicure, a new pair of shoes, a new car etc)
Step 9: Maintain Fitness Levels
- Once you've achieved the majority of all fitness goals you've set for yourself, it is up to you to maintain your fitness. The maintenance stage is the point at which you need to maintain your fitness and can 'coast' once you've improved your physical state. If you feel bored or if you feel as though you're losing your fitness edge, set another goal like entering a race, a fitness competition, weightlifting competition etc.
Step 10: Enjoy Yourself
- Fitness is fun. Find new ways to embark on new fitness activities
Enjoy and Good Luck!